Search Past Posts

Friday, July 30, 2010

Friday Five: It's Back!

Wow, it's been awhile since I wrote a Friday Five post. I haven't been on a regular blog "schedule" this summer just because it simply hasn't been a priority, but as the summer is winding down, it's time to get back on it. So without further ado...

1. I'm taking Avery swimming today with her friends Abby and Kaelyn (and my friend Kyndra). The pool is hit or miss with Avery, so we'll see how she does today, haha. The first time I put her in her elephant floaty she slept the entire time (like 45 minutes) in the pool. The next time we tried to play in it she screamed every time she got near it. Oh well, it'll be fun regardless.

2. I'm an addict. To Words with Friends. But it is a frustrating game! There are people who I know cheat because they play words that there is no way that they know, and the game accepts "words" that Scrabble never would. Argh. But until I find a good Scrabble app, it will have to do. Anybody want to play?

3. My parents come home from Venezuela today! I haven't talked to my mom since the 20th, and it feels like an eternity! I can't wait to hear about their trip.

4. Vacation Bible School comes to our church next week. As the children's director I should be way stressed about this fact. However, when I took on the position, I said up front that I couldn't do VBS because of a scheduling conflict, so it's not my responsibility this year. As an outsider I've observed some things that really bother me. When did VBS become a competition between churches? When did it become a means for contention within the church? I'll have to examine this when it comes time to plan for next year. Things that make you go, hmmm.

5. We leave for campmeeting in THREE days! Eek! I'm so excited, and for those of you who don't know what that is, I'll blog about it after we get back on the 7th.

Happy Friday-- have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Diane said...

What device are you using for WWF? Scrabble has an app for iPhone/iPod Touch that is great - single play or on-line play.

VBS - honestly, for the last ten years or more the theme seems to have been "the bigger the better". The focus has come off sharing Christ and gone on to providing an "experience" for the kids. Maybe it's just me, but I would think providing an environment where the kids pretend they are on a walkabout in Australia would be more of a distraction to the gospel than an enhancement.

Then again, I taught VBS when it was an hour at someone's house, with Bible stories and maybe lemonade and cookies after!

One More Equals Four said...

My little one (2 1/2) really cares nothing about the water, which is a shame because we have a pool that all his siblings do want to be in! He just wanders around the edge pouring water out of a bucket!

As for VBS, I agree. I got so tired of trying to keep up with the decorating, crafts, etc. of other teachers. However, we did it differently this year...and it was AWESOME! Hopefully yours will be better next year!

Have fun at camp!

Carol said...

I remember when my youngest daughter would go to the beach with us. She HATED the sand. I mean, she hatedthe sand so much that when she fell asleep in her little chair, her feet stuck straight out.