Follow by Email

Search Past Posts

Blog Archive

Friday, February 24, 2012

An Uneventful Day

Today was such a sweet day. There wasn't anything really exciting about it, but Avery was extra loving, Landon was extra snuggly, and it was just low key and nice.

We had to take Nutmeg to a new vet today because hers is (hopefully temporarily) not practicing anymore because of health problems. Besides looking like a traveling circus trying to get an excited dog, a big stroller, and a toddler who manages to walk in front of said dog and stroller at every opportunity, the visit went better than I expected. Meggie even acted like an angel compared to the other dogs that were barking like crazy. She was so good and obedient and sweet. I think she might've just been nervous, but I was a proud doggie mama. The office was much different than Dr. Mike's clinic, but the staff was very nice and helpful, and I really liked the vet. I think we'll continue to go there if Dr. Mike doesn't reopen, so it was a relief to find a backup just in case.

We got home in time for Avery to catch some Sesame Street (we're taking her to Sesame Street Live next weekend; she's gonna flip out!!) while I put together some lunch. I was feeling some comfort food, so I made (don't judge) macaroni and cheese and popcorn shrimp (or "strimp," according to Avery). Hey, at least the mac was Annie's and we also ate carrots and tomatoes.

Avery only fussed at nap time for like fifteen minutes and then she was out. Compared to her hour-long tantrums as of late, I was ecstatic with only fifteen minutes of whining. Unfortunately, Landon didn't get the nap memo and slept for a whopping thirty minutes. In his defense, he's 1) a terrible afternoon napper when he doesn't get a morning snooze and 2) he's either teething or getting a little sick because he hasn't slept well at ALL for the whole week, nap or nighttime.

So we had a little bonding time in my bathroom, where he could make as much noise as he wanted and be entertained by waving at mirrors. At least he was happy.

After Avery woke up we had a little jam session at the piano. That girl loves to sing, so I played some of her Wee Sing Bible songs while she alternated instruments from her collection (including the "harp" and tambourine she made at school). She was so stinkin' cute. After we played through every song that I could stand, I even gave her her first piano lesson. Haha, kidding. I did help her play the melodies of some of her favorites by moving her finger along the keys. Landon just jumped happily away in his doorway jumper while he listened to the music (or piano banging when it was A's turn).

Since both kids were content to play in the recently cleaned out study, I was able to get a head start on a craft/organizing project that I've had on my list for awhile. I'm a card hoarder. I have a really hard time throwing away notes from people. I still have a few notes dating back to junior high that I just can't bear to part with. Anyway, I have stacks of thank you, birthday, and Christmas cards that needed to be reassessed. They were just organized in Ziploc bags, so I decided to pretty them up a little. I had already made Avery's baby and birthday cards into booklets using ribbon, but I saw an idea on Pinterest (go figure) that used binder rings, which is SO much neater. I love the way it turned out. I even have a little basket for them in the study so I'm not creating more clutter with my pack rat sentimental ways.

Matt came home for about an hour, which was just enough time for him to eat and help load up Avery's futon we just sold on Craigslist. He had to go back to school to run sound for their talent show fundraiser, so I had bedtime on my own again. Avery was loving all the newly acquired space in her room, so I got Landon to sleep while she read books to her friends (hey, she's not lacking in imagination). She was absolutely precious when it was time for her to go to bed, and I love those nights that we snuggle in her bed to read a book, pray, and tell a story about "Schmavery." I hope those little moments mean as much to her as they do to me.

I have the rest of the evening to start on some pillows for Avery's little coloring nook in the study, but I'm determined to be in bed before midnight for the first time all week.

I'll be at our ladies spa retreat at church tomorrow, so Matt gets some much-needed time with the young 'uns before having talent show round two. And after this weekend, his horrible work month will be over. Hopefully then we can actually hang out again!

Happy (early) birthday to my awesome mother-in-law on Sunday, and have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Joyce said...

Sounds a fab day! I'm all about the uneventful days now.

We are going to a talent show fundraiser tomorrow. Should be fun.