Search Past Posts

Blog Archive

Monday, September 27, 2010

Confessions of a Not-So-Desperate Housewife

Last night I decided to wage war with the out of control rugs in the house, namely the ones in the laundry room, the guest bathroom, and the ones that go under the dog dishes. Ew ew ew. Feeling super-productive, I threw them all in the wash and didn't give them a second thought. Until I moved them to the dryer. Red laundry room rug, meet white guest bathroom rugs. Do the math. And while I fully intended to redecorate the guest bath soon, Pepto Bismol-inspired bath mats were not exactly what I had in mind.

Next.

Matt was testing out a new fried baked zucchini recipe tonight, and since I was making the rest of dinner, I thought I'd be helpful while he was playing with Avery and flip the zucchini when it was halfway through. We have a flat stovetop. I was running out of counter space. I threw a couple of pot holders on the stove so I could just keep the cookie sheets on top of them while I worked my magic. When I threw the zucchini back in the oven, I remarked that it must've been a seriously hot cookie sheet because the pot holder was steaming! Two minutes later when the pot holder was still steaming, I realized that I had left a burner on. Oh yeah, and that burner was underneath the pot holder. It was thisclose to catching on fire. I threw it in the sink and tried to rid the kitchen of the offending odor. Fortunately it was gorgeous outside and we already had the windows open. And even more fortunately, the kitchen was still intact.

Ruined laundry, burning pot holders.

And this is why I should not attempt to be domestic. Goodnight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh no! good night. =p glad no fire. and hey, you had a story to tell.

Anonymous said...

Those are the kind of days that I would rather just go back to bed and start over. :) I've been there! I'm so glad that you didn't have a visit with the fire department!