Search Past Posts

Blog Archive

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Meatless Monday on a Thursday

I try to eat healthy foods, really I do. But Oreos, ice cream, and pizza just call to me. I can't help myself.

But in an effort to reduce our meat consumption (thank you, Food, Inc.) and our grocery bill, I've added Meatless Monday to the menu (much to my husband's chagrin). In case you're wondering, we also have breakfast for dinner on Wednesdays and Mexican food Fridays. But you probably weren't wondering. I digress.

This past  Monday was Labor Day (duh), so Matt had the day off and we ended up going on an impromptu happy hour date (translation: fried food and sodas at TGI Fridays. YUM.) We were still stuffed by dinner time, so we just ate sandwiches. All that to say, I moved Monday's dinner to tonight (lest all that food go bad), and I felt the need to share the deliciousness.

This is not a cooking blog. In fact, I'm not even a very good cook. But hey, I'm getting better since I have plenty of time to practice these days. I digress again.

Back to my point. You have GOT to try this recipe. It is easy easy easy and soverygood. You can thank me later.

Quick Quesadillas

quick-quesadillas 


Makes 8 servings

  • Nonstick olive oil spray
  • 2 zucchini, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced (I left this out)
  • 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 16 (6-inch) flour tortillas
  • 8 oz shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Drain and rinse the canned beans. Put in a large mixing bowl. Grate the zucchini. Toss the grated zucchini with a teaspoon of salt in a colander, then squeeze out excess water. Combine the zucchini with the beans, spices, grated cheese, and scallions. Spritz one side of each tortilla with olive oil spray. Place eight tortillas oil-side down on a baking sheet. Spread some filling on each tortilla then top with another tortilla (oil-side up). Broil 1-2 minutes (until golden) and flip. Broil the flip side another 1-2 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We haven't done meatless Monday yet, but sounds good if it's a yummy recipe. We do quesadillas quite often (not lately) because we have a quesadilla maker. =p You should called it Fiesta Friday or something. hehe Breakfast for Dinner over here is a winner every time! How about School Lunch Dinner, although you two might not like it that much. =p Soup and salad night is great too. =)