Search Past Posts

Blog Archive

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Revenge and jalapenos.

If you've known us for longer than, say, a month, you know that we live behind Mr. and Mrs. Crazy. Long story short, they like to call animal control (and the police) on a regular basis to complain that our dogs bark. (Which, for the record, they don't bark any more than any reasonable dog. We have the notarized letter signed by each of the rest of our neighbors to prove it.) Any time we're in our back yard we see them watching us from their windows. It's more than a little creepy.

So last night I was getting Avery's bath ready, and I heard the dogs bark maybe three times. I filled the tub, but before I set Avery in it I heard Nutmeg start freaking out. I ran to the back door to see Meg standing at the edge of the deck barking her little head off at the Crazies' house. Their blinds were all the way open and I saw Mrs. Crazy standing there staring at us. (Note: I've never seen this woman in the entire 3 years we've lived in our house.) I waved to her to let her know I had the "situation" under control, and she flipped me off. Flipped me off! Um, hello woman. YOU were the one creeping out the window. YOU are the one who has made us bend over backwards for you (i.e. bark collars and minimal time outside). And you flip me off??

Matt marched over to their house to find out what the heck their problem is, but of course they don't answer their door. Ever. (We're told they don't even answer the door for neighbors who bring misdelivered mail. Antisocial much?) They do have two video cameras on their front porch. So James Bond.

I suppose we will just have to "love our enemies" and "turn the other cheek" and all those other Biblical directives that are really hard to do when the flesh just wants revenge.

And now to change subjects completely.

I made some super yummy BBQ Beef Casserole (Don't knock it. I told you it's yummy. Either believe me or try it yourself.) tonight. Matt devoured his because he had to go to a meeting and I'm a slow cook (and, I think, because it was incredibly delicious), and Avery was shoveling it in as well. She still eats with her fingers (mostly because I lack patience and the desire to clean the mess that would prevail after her use of utensils), so it was a little messy. Did I mention yet that it was more than just a little spicy? Jalapenos, meet Avery's eyes. Let's just say that when Matt left, dinner got a little chaotic. I wiped down Avery's hands and face, finished feeding her with a spoon, and promptly took her to the tub.

Seriously, where has the time gone? She's not my helpless little baby anymore. She's a little girl with a gigantic personality and ever-growing independence. When did that happen?? I let her have an extra-long playtime in the tub tonight because I was so caught up in watching her read her book, figure out the logistics of bath splashing, and fill up and dump out the rinsing cup. It really doesn't seem like it's been that long since we were fumbling around trying to figure out how to bathe a newborn who hated the water. 

My hope and prayer is that I won't waste time letting the frustrations of life rob me of the joy that is found in the life that Christ gave me through His Son.

3 comments:

Brooklynn said...

Oh. my. goodness.

That lady is crazy! Easy to flip you off in her home and then not answer the door. Cowards.

I'm sorry.

Anonymous said...

That sucks!...and totally creepy. I have an old classmate whose downstairs neighbor who keeps calling the cops on them for "being loud"...as it when they're going all crazy having board game night. And he'll do things like tip over their trash bins. What? Anyhow, sorry you got some crazy neighbors. I'm glad the other neighbors are on your side.

Corrianna {SouthernMother} said...

Oh man. My husband used to live next to these Crazies that did things like come outside and sit to watch them swim in their backyard and mount a big security spotlight shining directly in his mom & dad's BEDROOM window. they put a huge mirror in their window...problem solved!
Anyway, sorry ya'll have to deal with that. :( Why can't people just be decent?